Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Why am I not losing weight?

Plain and simple: I just like food too much. I once saw a magazine quiz to help readers determine what the main "trigger" for their overeating was: social situations, emotions, etc. I don't remember all the categories, but I scored in every one. [Blush!]

Plus I don't really want to change anything – which of course means nothing is going to change until I do. (Duh!) I just don’t want weight loss to take over my life, to constantly be thinking about, counting, and measuring what I am eating, to be constantly thinking about it and talking about it. I want to be able to eat what I want when I want.

I guess what it comes down to is that I want my own will and my own way all too much. And one's own way usually has negative consequences.

I need to develop a love for God and for pleasing Him greater than my love of eating anything I want. I need to develop a desire to be here for my family greater than a desire for donuts and French fries. In my heart I do want that. But there is a disconnect somewhere. Part of the problem is that donuts and French fries and cookies aren’t inherently sinful. A lot of people eat them with no problem. Perhaps I need to eliminate them all together: at least I need to scale back.

I know that when I think of people who, for instance, smoke, with devastating results to their health, I wonder how they can do that to themselves and their families. Yet I fail to recognize that being overweight can be just as devastating.

2 comments:

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Congratulations on your health blog!! I wish you all the best during your weight loss journey :) Trust me, I know how difficult it is, but I know you can do it, and I'm out here cheering you on!
I'm over at http://momsquietplace.blogspot.com but it's mostly just a food log for me to keep track of what I'm eating.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You know, I have found in my life that when my eating is unbridled and undisciplined, it affects other areas as well. When i rein myself in, other things start to fall into line, and I like myself better. I don't think God loves me more or anything like that, but I just feel accountable and responsible. I'm glad you're doing this, too, so that we can share. Cause that's what girls do!