Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Scriptural focus

First off, if I am going to keep the right focus, I need to base this on Scriptural principles. That will keep me focused and on track and keep the larger issues (no pun intended :) ) before me. It's interesting that nowhere in the Bible is being fat called a sin. But being gluttonous and intemperate are. So here are a few passages that pertain to these issues:

1. "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." I Cor. 10:31.

2. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." Galatians 5:22-24, NKJV.

3. Hebrews 11:25 says of Moses that he chose "rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season." There is pleasure is sin for a season – but how very short a season of pleasure it is to eat something. Sure, there is anticipation before and remembrance after, but even that is short-lived in comparison to the consequences.

4. Philippians 3:18-20 speaks of enemies of the cross of Christ "Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things." Whose God is their belly – that is a sobering thought, that I am making my belly (or mouth, which is what enjoys the taste of food) a god.

5. "Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags." Proverbs 23:20-21.

6. "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." I Cor. 9:27.

7. "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth." Colossians 3:1-2.

Have you found any other passages that are helpful in this area?

1 comment:

Melli said...

Excellent! I know the first thing I do when I get on my bike is say a little prayer ... "Be with me Jesus... keep me pedaling!" He has been my exercise partner for the past year + ... and it works for me!!! HE works for me!!!