Friday, February 7, 2014

Made to Crave Study, Chapter 9: But Exercise Makes Me Want to Cry

Continuing with the Made to Crave Bible Study hosted by Proverbs 31 Ministries, Chapter 8 was probably the most convicting and most helpful so far. I can definitely identify with the sentiment about exercise. I have a hard time knowing when to schedule it, I hate getting sweaty, I hate putting on workout shoes....but I do love that I feel more energetic afterward, and I love seeing the endurance and strength increase over time.

Lysa describes trying to convince herself that the world's standards of being model-thin are too harsh, that God loves us just the way we are, etc., but she knew the major problem was self-control, and I know that about myself as well.

Psalm 86 11-12 say, "Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever." Her version says "give me an undivided heart," and she discusses having divided loyalties between the Lord and our own cravings. Boy, did that hit home! It also reminded me of James 1:8 ("A double minded man is unstable in all his ways") and James 4:7-8 ("Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.")

Lysa also brings out the teaching of I Corinthians 6:19 that our bodies are God's temple, and connects with a passage in the OT (Haggai 1:2-8) about God's people neglecting  the needed work on His temple while they lined their own with wood. God's prophet warned them to "Consider your ways." God's people neglected taking care of His temple because something else always seemed more important, and we do the same. Like them, we need to consider our ways - reevaluate our schedules and priorities and make time for what God wants us to. They faced consequences for neglecting God's temple, and there are natural consequences for our neglect as well.

Lysa says she has learned to "embrace the benefits" of taking care of her temple "instead of resisting the hardship." I need to make that my motto as well.

1 comment:

Kim said...

This was a great chapter. This study has been so helpful to me in more ways than the weight. Thanks for sharing.