Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Made to Crave Study, Chapter 8: Making Peace With the Realities of my Body

  Continuing with the  Made to Crave Bible Study hosted by Proverbs 31 Ministries, Chapter 8 is "Making Peace With the Realities of My Body," where the main idea is that none of us has perfect bodies, even if we didn't have an ounce of extra weight. I think most of us probably couldn't handle it if we did: we'd probably be too vain or even more focused on our bodies than we are now. Or perhaps there is no perfect body because of the fall of mankind into sin: maybe the entrance of thorns on plants and death and decay in the world also brought on warts and age spots and pimples. Or maybe God has made our bodies imperfect (and even less perfect as we age) so we'll be more willing to let them go of them when the times comes.

This brought a smile the first time I saw it:


As someone who has rarely been totally satisfied with my hair, I can relate!

At any rate, we need to remember that even when we lose the weight we need to, we'll still not have perfect bodies, so that does not need to be our goal. Our goal needs to be obedience to what God has called us to. That can also sustain us when we've done everything we should and the numbers on the scale still don't move as much as we thought they should. 

Lisa brings out of Psalm 103:1-5, mainly the part about not forgetting His benefits, as a reminder to be grateful for the gift He has given us in our bodies. Another passage that came to mind is from Psalm 139:


13 For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.

No comments: