Thursday, October 22, 2009

I'm back...sort of

I haven't really done much with with diet or exercise lately beyond the occasional Wii Fit exercises...and consequently I gaine back almost all I had lost. I just couldn't get beyond having to give up or limit what I liked to eat.

But a few nights ago I was listening to a message by Chuck Swindoll on the radio concerning Nathan's confrontation of David's sin with Bathsheba (II Samuel 12), and in the context of evidence of true repentance, he mentioned a willingness to make a break with sin rather than just feeling sorry about it. Proverbs 28:13 says, "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy."

That convicted me because, though I had felt plenty bad about my overeating, I couldn't say I had turned from it. I became convicted that at the very least, the out-of-control indulgence had to stop. Temperance or self-control is a fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galoatians 5:22-24), and I would need His filling, help, and grace, but I knew I had to take that step.

Ironically, I was making cookies that night. But by God's grace I was able to set a limit of how many I would have a day rather than just grabbing one every time I passed through the kitchen. Jillian of The Biggest Loser would probably laugh at that, but for me it was a definite start and step in the right direction.

I still need to get areas of my eating and exercising under control. But every journey begins with a step.

No comments: